Post by MayhemXXXFrosty (AndrewMp5k) on Nov 29, 2013 0:05:20 GMT -5
I recently got a replica "Eotech" 554 from a retailer (Mr. Sight) and after playing a day at Tango Down I noticed that when I got home that the screws seems loose on the side of cover. I tried to tighten them, but instead of tightening they would just spin.
So I found out that I had already lost one on one side and since the one I tried tightening was stripped, that that side was screwed. I checked the other side and it was plagued by the same thing. So now it doesn't have it's cover;
So before I go ahead and tap all new holes for it, any other suggestions? Is it the screws or is it the actual threading in the sight's body? I'd rather replace screws than re-tap AND have to buy new screws, but I'll do what I have to. Since I've already lost one, I'm looking for more of a permanent solution that I can still remove if needed (so no superglue or jb-welding the screws in place).
Is it the screws or is it the actual threading in the sight's body?
Well if your going to re tap it then you're going to have to pull out the remaining screw anyway so pull it out and see if the threads are smoked. If they are then replace them after cleaning out the metal they left behind. From the picture it looks like you already pulled out the screw so I'm a little confused. It should be obvious if the screws threads are stripped right?
You could take the sight to ACO or ACE hardware and see if there's a machine screw that will work.
Sent from my XT1080 using proboards
Shameless plug for my airsoft chrono calculator, useful for converting Joules to FPS/MPS and determining what FPS difference there would be assuming no loss or gain to Joule creep.
Post by MayhemXXXFrosty (AndrewMp5k) on Nov 29, 2013 14:12:40 GMT -5
The threads honestly don't look that bad, so I wasn't sure if maybe anyone else had an issue like this with these replicas and there was a quick fix like just replacing with 1size up bigger screws or something. All the screws are out, just none of them thread, so I'm probably headed to ACE today to see if the next size up works, or if I'm going to have to tap 1 size up because the threads are actually indeed fucked. I simply asked this because it seems about 1/8" looks to be actually metal, and the rest inside is plastic, so I'm not sure if re-tapping it is even an option if the plastic is too soft to hold a thread or something and will just strip out again eventually.
I have had three replica eotechs and all of them have been pretty cheesy to some degree or another but I haven't had the same problem as you. Most likely the screws themselves are fine but it's the metal or plastic on the body that is junk. I'd say size up and then loctite them in so it doesn't happen again. Most likely you won't even have to tap since the steel will have no problem going right into the sight of itself.
Always use blue loctite if you need to remove it later. You don't tap plastic, the screw will do that, and them it will act like a lock-nut. Only use loctite on metal, screws screwing into metal. It does nothing when you screw into plastic. For plastic, you use super glue. What you normally do in that case is you put some thin superglue (thin CA, can be bought from a hobby shop) on a toothpick and put a drop or two on the threads inside the hole. Let it dry then thread the screw in. This will not only take out any looseness to the fit, it will also kind of act like a lock-nut.
Post by MayhemXXXFrosty (AndrewMp5k) on Dec 4, 2013 17:12:24 GMT -5
It seems the 1/8th (0.125") screws that came with the red dot didn't go quite deep enough into the threading. After a quick trip to ACE on my way home from work I found that 1/2" (0.500") screws worked great. So apparently the screws just weren't reaching enough threading to hold. I tossed a bit of loctite (Blue of course) onto the threads for good measure and she's good to go.
Unfortunately for me they were out of M3 x 0.500 screws in black, so I had to get silver, but I think it sort of adds character to it.